Topic: Financial Algebra
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 30, 2010 11:22 AM

Kathleen_Curtis@pittsford.monroe.edu

RE: Financial Algebra

If your school is using the financial algebra Text to teach a 3rd or 4th year of math, please email me at
kathleen_curtis@pittsford.monroe.edu.
I appreciate your time answering some questions?
What population of students is taking this course?
Who is teaching the course?
How many years have you been offering this course?

Sincerely,

Kathy C

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of sherry johnson [sjohnso3@twcny.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:29 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Info from SED

Do students who receive an 80 or less on the Algebra Regents take mathematics classes in their senior year?

A study was done in Ohio, and they found when only 2 or 3 years of math were requires, and students took NO math as a senior, they had to take a remedial course.
The year "off" was detrimental to their mathematics education.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 4:54 PM, mcgraild@ollchs.org wrote:

> Thanks (as usual) Michele. This is very interesting. I am glad the state
> is looking at these types of statistics. Do you think when they refer to
> the math regents, they are talking about the required exams such as
> Algebra or Math A? I agree that a student who scores below an 80 on
> Algebra or Math A would need a remedial college class. However, I think
> that the results for Geometry, Alg2/Trig and Math B would be different.

>> SED issued a press release yesterday about raising the MS test cut
>> scores:
>>
>> http://www.oms.nysed.gov/press/Regents_Approve_Scoring_Changes.html
>>
>> There is also an informative slide show from Commissioner Steiner with
>> more details:
>>
>> http://usny.nysed.gov/webcasts.html
>> then click on "Slideshow: A New Standard for Proficiency:
>> College Readiness (PDF)"
>>
>> A lot of it is about Middle School, but there is also interesting info
>> about how a student's performance on 8th grade tests relates to how
>> they do on Regents exams, and how Regents scores relate to college
>> readiness. Some items from the press release:
>>

>>> * Students who score below an 80 on their math Regents exam have a
>>> much greater likelihood of being placed in a remedial college course;
>>>
>>> * Students who score above an 80 on their math Regents exam have a
>>> good chance of earning at least a C in college-level math;
>>>
>>> * Students who score at least a 75 on their English Regents exam
>>> have a good chance of earning at least a C in Freshman Composition;
>>>
>>> * Institutions of higher education around the state consider a score
>>> of 75-85 on Regents exams to be the bare minimum for college
>>> readiness;
>>>
>>> * Students scoring below 80 on their math regents and below 75 on
>>> their English Regents exams have a high likelihood of scoring below
>>> 500 on the SAT.
>>>
>>> * Students at the current Level 3 proficiency standard on their 8th
>>> grade math exam have less than a 1 in 3 chance of earning an 80 on
>>> their math Regents;
>>>
>>> * Students in high need districts at the current Level 3 proficiency
>>> standard on their 8th grade ELA exam have about a 50-50 chance of
>>> earning a 75 on the English Regents;
>>>

>> (More details are in the slide show.)
>>
>> BTW, the press release says that AIS requirements will be reduced for
>> 2010-11 only (not all 2's will be required to have AIS: only those who
>> would have been a 2 under the old cut scores).
>>
>> Evan Romer
>> Susquehanna Valley HS
>> Conklin NY 13748

>> *
>> * Read prior posts and download attachments from the web archives at
>> * http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=671
> *
*

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from using the information in any way, including but not limited to disclosure of, copying, forwarding or acting in reliance on the contents. If you have received this email by error, please immediately notify me by return email and delete it from your email system. Thank you.
*