Topic: Frontend suggestions
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 17, 2010 1:21 AM

Steve Gray

Re: Frontend suggestions

On 8/10/2010 12:55 AM, David Bailey wrote:
> Since the subject of possible enhancements to the FE is being discussed,
> I wonder if we could determine which feature would be most popular. I
> have two requests:
>
> 1) Infinite undo!
>
> 2) Better documentation of functions such as Import that perform a
> range of operations. So many details seem to slip between the cracks.
> For example, nowhere does there seem to be a statement that .mid files
> can be exported but not imported!
>
> 3) A total ban on the word "typical" - it doesn't belong in
> documentation that is supposed to be definitive!
>
> Please add suggestions in replies and we can see which is the most popular.
>
> David Bailey
>
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

I vote for infinite undo, AND -

1. MUCH more rational behavior of text handling in general. Some of the
things it does are either gross bugs or totally bizarre decisions. If
anyone else cares I will list the ones that bug me the most. Given all
the dumb things that it does I would never consider it for serious
writing tasks.

2. Selection of noncontiguous text like MS Word (finally) does, so you
can apply changes to a bunch of separated text all at once.

3. Better visibility of cell properties for example non-evaluatable,
text cells, etc.

4. Better visibility of found strings during searches. I waste time
trying to find the things it just found. Add backwards searches and
better notification of what it's doing.

5. An easy way to have Print work more like it does in C (a language
that I hate). Specifically a way to print pieces of lines while Mathematica is
calculating rather than Print working only in whole lines.

Steve Gray

Date Subject Author
8/10/10
Read Frontend suggestions
David Bailey
8/11/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
AES
8/11/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
hmichel@cox.net
8/12/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
AES
8/12/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
Vince Virgilio
8/13/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
hmichel@cox.net
8/13/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
hmichel@cox.net
8/14/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
virgilio@ieee.org
8/14/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
Themis Matsoukas
8/17/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
hmichel@cox.net
8/17/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
Murray Eisenberg
8/14/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions (Compartments and Frames)
Joseph Gwinn
8/16/10
Read Re: Frontend suggestions
deepyogurt@gmail.com