Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 17, 1995 11:45 PM

Edward S. Miller

Re: [CALC-REFORM:1588]

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Arnold Jansen wrote in part:

> I have a problem with the "lab" approach. I don't see how anyone can become
> fluent in mathematics without several hours per week of intense personal
> involvement. Does the lab approach facilitate this? One or two hours per week
> in a microlab seems quite inadequate to me. Any comments??

In my own version of the calculus lab (I do about 10 per semester), some
of the labs support lecture and some replace lecture altogether. I
structure the activity so that students must do preliminary reading and
exercises, then they have the hour in the lab with a partner and my help,
and then there are follow-up questions. At least a few of these require
more lab work; we have an open lab available to students for about 75
hours each week.

My (undocumented and unscientific) belief is: the students need to
spend as much and usually more time on these assignments than they would
for a typical one hour lecture, I have to spend at least twice as long
evaluating and as much as five times as long prepping, and we all get
more out of it.

--Ed

Edward S. Miller edmiller@lcsc.edu

Division of Natural Sciences VOICE 208-799-2810
Lewis-Clark State College FAX 208-799-2064
500 8th Avenue
Lewiston ID 83501-2698 USA