Topic: ODE's in calc II
Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 21, 2000 1:48 PM

Terence Gaffney

Re: ODE's in calc II

>In a message dated 03/21/2000 11:17:07 Eastern Standard Time, gaff@NEU.EDU
>writes:
>
><< Pushing the "cookbook" topics into earlier calculus courses means that in
> the differential equations course you can focus on topics which have more
> coherence like second order equations and systems. >>
>

>With all due respect: if you consider the material in earlier calculus course
>to recipes from cookbooks, then you should not be surprised if the students
>completing these course can't cook anything but bland dishes and not
>complete, well thought out meals.

I think Lin missed my point, so let me expand a little. The problem with
the traditional ODE course, is that the first weeks often seem like a
collection of recipes with the applications saved for the end of this
section of the course. Now if you take a topic like exact equations, move
it into multivariable calculus, then you can give it a conceptual
context--gradient fields, and some nice applications to fluid flow. If you
do this, then the topic doesn't feel like a recipe anymore.
best,
terry

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.