Topic: derivatives that equal the original function
Replies: 47   Last Post: Jun 1, 2000 3:52 PM

Jerry Uhl

Re: precise use of language
att1.html (2.6 K)

At 7:25 AM -0400 5/25/00, Ted Stanford wrote this and more:

>One difficulty that many students have with
>calculus (and other math courses) is that they
>don't understand the difference between precise
>mathematical usage of language and ordinary usage
>of language. Does anyone else have any info to
>share on how they have attempted to help students
>understand this difference?

Richard Feynman had a view on this. He said:

"Many of the math books . . . are full of . . . nonsense - of
carefully and precisely defined words that are used by pure
mathematicians in their most subtle and and difficult analyses, and
are used by nobody else . . .. The real problem in speech is not
precise language. The problem is clear language.'

-Jerry Uhl
Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research
Council
Calculus&Mathematica, Vector Calculus&Mathematica,
DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica, NetMath

http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu , http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu, and
http://matheverywhere.com

"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
To bore thyself and bore the students?"

. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Date Subject Author
5/17/00
Read derivatives that equal the original function
Kevin
5/22/00
Read Unique solution
Timothy P. Keller
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Steve Earth
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Matthias Kawski
5/24/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Michael Livshits
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Michael Livshits
5/23/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Geoff Hagopian
5/23/00
Read Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Timothy P. Keller
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Geoff Hagopian
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
James Morrow
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Alan Stein
5/24/00
Read Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Alan Stein
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Martin Flashman
LnMcmullin@aol.com
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Michael Livshits
5/25/00
Read precise use of language
Ted Stanford
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Martin Flashman
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Jerry Uhl
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
6/1/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Bonnie Gold
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Jerry Uhl
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Steve Earth
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Martin Flashman
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Sheila King
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Sheila King
5/29/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Paul Zorn
5/29/00
Read re: precise use of language
Roya Salehi
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Michael Livshits
5/24/00
Read Semite & Sin
Geoff Hagopian