Topic: derivatives that equal the original function
Replies: 47   Last Post: Jun 1, 2000 3:52 PM

Jerry Uhl

Re: precise use of language
att1.html (3.0 K)

At 10:54 AM -0500 5/25/00, Jeff Stuart wrote this and more:

>You are correct that one of the difficulties that students
>have with mathematics is that the language is formal
>and precise rather than informal. Another difficulty is
>that mathematics tends to use very complicated sentence
>structures involving dependent clauses. In my generation,
>and perhaps in yours, students were expected both to read
>more and to read the "Classics" rather than contemporary
>fiction. If you pick up a copy of "Jane Eyre", to cite an
>example, you will probably be shocked by the length
>and complexity of the sentences employed. An yet,
>"Jane Eyre" was popular literature for the educated
>classes for a long time.

On the same theme, Ralph Boas wrote in 1980:
"Authors of textbooks need to remember that they are supposed to be
addressing students, not the teachers...
Contemporary prose style is simpler and more direct than the style of
the 19th century- except in textbooks of mathematics. ....I blame the
authors of textbooks for not realizing that contemporary students
speak a different language."

-Jerry Uhl

Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research
Council
Calculus&Mathematica, Vector Calculus&Mathematica,
DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica, NetMath

http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu , http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu, and
http://matheverywhere.com

"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
To bore thyself and bore the students?"

. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Date Subject Author
5/17/00
Read derivatives that equal the original function
Kevin
5/22/00
Read Unique solution
Timothy P. Keller
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Steve Earth
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Matthias Kawski
5/24/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Michael Livshits
5/22/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Michael Livshits
5/23/00
Read Re: Unique solution
Geoff Hagopian
5/23/00
Read Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Timothy P. Keller
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Geoff Hagopian
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
James Morrow
5/24/00
Read Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x )
Alan Stein
5/24/00
Read Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Alan Stein
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Martin Flashman
LnMcmullin@aol.com
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Michael Livshits
5/25/00
Read precise use of language
Ted Stanford
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Martin Flashman
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Jerry Uhl
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
6/1/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Bonnie Gold
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Jerry Uhl
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Joshua Zucker
5/25/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Steve Earth
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Kazimierz Wiesak
5/26/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Martin Flashman
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
112358etc
5/27/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Sheila King
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Sheila King
5/29/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Geoff Hagopian
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Paul Zorn
5/29/00
Read re: precise use of language
Roya Salehi
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/28/00
Read Re: precise use of language
Michael Livshits
5/24/00
Read Re: Logical consistency (was Re: Uniqueness and Sin ( x ))
Michael Livshits
5/24/00
Read Semite & Sin
Geoff Hagopian