The Math Forum

Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 23, 2011 7:29 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
att1.html (11.4 K)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, kathleen Offenholley wrote:

> Julie,
>
> It doesn't sound as if any of these are examples of the teacher
> enforcing important rules, it sounds like these are pretty much all
> arbitrary and capricious. 25% off for not stapling correctly, Yikes!
> These are things that make math look like it's all about book
> keeping/accounting skills. Also, the emphasis on memorizing all the
> separate formulas instead of recognizing them as one basic formula makes
> me wonder if the teacher is very good at math at all....

There is nothing to wonder about here; this teacher is obviously
fearful. The details she is enforcing should be relevant to the task, and
while neatness and legibility should be part of what counts it goes a bit
far to worry about the correct placement of staples. There is nothing to
be done about this teacher except to make merry with your children about
such a person while coaching them on how to avoid punishment for
trivialities. Later life will be full of these people, after all, and
early understanding of the phenomenon is surely worthwhile.

The next time the area of a rectangle comes up, your child might
have a little fun writing "A=hb" to begin the computation.

Meanwhile, don't worry too much about unfair grading in grades
K-6, or even K-8; they won't make a bit of difference in later years of
school, unless you take them so seriously as to lose interest in real
learning. We are all misjudged at least some of the time no matter what
we do, and should learn early on not to let that make us stop working.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 585 275 4429 or (home) 585 244 9368
Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627
<http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/>

Date Subject Author
3/16/11
Read [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
ArPeEs@aol.com
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Zeev Wurman
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Teri
3/17/11
[...]
Read [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Lewis
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/23/11