Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
mod

[mg6093] Re: [mg6077] Re: [mg6026] Re: [mg5946] Re: [mg5899] Trouble reading old notebooks into 3.0

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, David Annetts wrote:

> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> >
> > seanross@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> >
> > : There are many bugs in all versions of mathematica 3.0 in the notebook
> > : conversions and file format routines. Wolfram sent out the programs
> > : without really testing them. The only workaround is to cut and paste
> > : via the clipboard for the text parts. I am unfamiliar with Linux, but
> > : since notebooks are text only, the other workaround could be to open a
> > : blank notebook in 3.0, save it, then get out and manually paste in the
> > : text parts of your old 2.2 notebooks.
> >
> > I myself and several of my colleagues have been doing 2.2.x -> 3.0
> > conversions without incident. And freely transferring notebooks
> > between Unix, PC/Windows 95, and Macintosh platforms without incident
> > (except for something really creepy for which all evidence points to
> > some homegrown router tunneling, etc. to export one LAN to another).

> This has not been my experience. Notebooks that I've written are
> rarely converted without error. Code in the cell runs as it did, but
> the cell is formatted differently and is generally unreadable.
>
> David Annetts
> CRC-AMET/Macquarie University

The graphics usually got screwed up when converted from 2.2.2 -> 3.0 (for
students, Mac platform). It just shows a rectangular box with the message
about postscript error or something.

Pong
University of Missouri