Topic: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Replies: 547   Last Post: Jul 2, 2011 7:16 PM

Apollo

Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks) @Tony

In article
<15c71b34-de18-4309-823e-89c722618f56@fq4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Albrecht <albstorz@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 25 Jun., 01:58, Tony Orlow <t...@lightlink.com> wrote:

> > > That's not my claim.

> > > That's also not my claim. My claim is that there are not _more_ than
> > > infinitely many words or ideas. And in this concern it is senseless to
> > > talk about an concept which implies infinite predecessors.

> > > If you argue there are infitely many words with "a" as

> > > aa
> > > aaa
> > > so the first word with "b" is, say, the infinite + first word in this
> > > sequence, that's nonsense. Since there are not more than infintely
> > > many words. Any set of words (or ideas) is denumerable, so there is no
> > > word "omega" or "alpeh_0" left. "omega" and "aleph_0" (let alone
> > > "aleph_1" and so on) are finitely numbered in the universe of words
> > > and ideas.

> > > But you don't. So 1, 2, 3, ... is no infinity and e.g. aleph_0 is not
> > > a number after all numbers since there is no "after".
> > > The idea that there is something after endlessness is alogical.

> > > You are right: mathematics have to work under the assumption that
> > > there is an endless amount of matter, space, time, words, numbers,
> > > information, states, steps, and so on.
> > > But all of that is endless, not "more than endless". There is nothing
> > > behind.

> > > Regards
> > > Albrecht

> > Hi Albrecht -
> >
> > I think I get your perspective now, which differs a little from mine,
> > and would like to comment/inquire. It seems to me that no countable
> > number of iterations of, say, equal subdivision of any real line
> > segment, can ever capture all the points within its range. It's
> > similar to saying no countable number of bits can really capture an
> > irrational number in any natural base, or most rationals in any given
> > one. So, I agree from the linguistic perspective that if the bits are
> > countable, so are the numbers derivable from those bits. However,
> > those real points exist within the line, do they not? Perhaps in some
> > way they don't, but are illusory, but it's easy to construct sqrt(2).
> > Between every two distinct irrationals is an identifiable rational,
> > and vice versa, so it's perhaps bogus to claim there are more of one
> > than the other on that basis. Do you have thoughts on the existence of
> > irrationals, and whether they outnumber the rationals, given that they
> > exist?
> >

> I can't see the necessity of the association of the existences of
> irrational points (which exist mathematicaly) and the existence of
> "any possible infinite string" of numerals (which don't exist as a
> whole in any sense).
> There are only countable many irrationale numbers since there are only
> countable many definitions of such numbers. The infinite expression in
> positional systems are not definitional. We can't handle infinite
> informations. There is no complete infinite information anywhere.

It may well be that Albrecht is not competent to handle "infinite
informations" that many others handle easily, but that only reveals
Albrecht's own incapabilities, not anyone else's.

Date Subject Author
6/2/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/2/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
[...]
6/5/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/4/11
[...]
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/7/11
[...]
Daryl McCullough
6/4/11
[...]
albrecht
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
MoeBlee
6/10/11
[...]
Brian Chandler
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/9/11
[...]
David Yen
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Daryl McCullough
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Marshall
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/10/11
[...]
K_h
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Brian Chandler
6/12/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
K_h
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
K_h
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/14/11
[...]
6/16/11
[...]
LudovicoVan
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/17/11
[...]
umumenu@gmail.com
6/15/11
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]