Topic: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Replies: 547   Last Post: Jul 2, 2011 7:16 PM

Apollo

Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks) @Tony

In article
<4cdd1498-75db-4d77-993d-8822dea32444@n5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Albrecht <albstorz@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 23 Jun., 22:43, Gus Gassmann <horand.gassm...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:

> > > You surely explain this facts better than I can since you are a native
> > > speaker, I think. The point is that there are unlimited many elements
> > > in convergent sequences. But we don't need all of them to show that
> > > they converge against a limit. It's enough to show that how much we
> > > examine of them ever, they approach to the limit better and better
> > > without going beyond. There is no totality of all of them required as
> > > some seems to suggest. In the case of divergent sequences there is no
> > > approach. The distance to the so-called limit aleph_0 or omega is
> > > always the same: infinite.

> > This is the third time I have to correct this error.
> >
> > Let a distance function d on N (the set of natural numbers) be defined
> > by d(n,m) = |1/(n+1) - 1/(m+1)|. Then the sequence 1, 2, 3, ... is
> > Cauchy. (Do you need a proof of this?) Let omega be the limit of this
> > sequence and define d(n,omega) = 1/(n+1).
> >
> > Convergence and divergence has *NOTHING* to do with what we are
> > talking about.

> There is no error. If you change the subject there are other
> consequences. That's normal. But we don't talk about a metric on the
> naturals.

One can define metrics on any non-empty set, so that it is only Albrecht
who is makes himself incapable of talking about them.

We talk about the increasing sequence

> *
> **
> ***
> ****
> *****
>
> And this sequence isn't Cauchy, and wasn't Cauchy and will be never
> Cauchy.

It will be with an appropriate metric defined upon its members.

Date Subject Author
6/2/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/2/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/3/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
[...]
6/5/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/4/11
[...]
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/6/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/5/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Marshall
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/4/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Daryl McCullough
6/4/11
[...]
albrecht
6/7/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/8/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
albrecht
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
MoeBlee
6/10/11
[...]
Brian Chandler
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
William Hughes
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/9/11
[...]
David Yen
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Daryl McCullough
6/9/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/10/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Virgil
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Newberry
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Marshall
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/10/11
[...]
K_h
6/11/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Brian Chandler
6/12/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
K_h
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
K_h
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/13/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Tony Orlow
6/14/11
[...]
6/16/11
[...]
LudovicoVan
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/14/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
LudovicoVan
6/15/11
Read Re: Potential Infinity (Re: Supertasks)
Uergil
6/17/11
[...]
umumenu@gmail.com
6/15/11
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]