Topic: symmetric difference calculation
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 14, 2011 12:34 PM

Paul Sperry

Re: symmetric difference calculation

In article
<d3f809e5-f9b3-477a-b82e-dd75689cc017@f31g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
<"g_chime@yahoo.com"> wrote:

> I need help with the following (not a hw problem, just reading a book
> on prob theory):
>
> Let * be the symmetric difference operation: A * B = (A-B) U (B-A)
>
> solve for X: A * X = B
>
> I can solve it using a venn diagram: X = A * B
>
> But how do I get the solution using set algegra?
>
> Thanks in advance.

There is also a very inelegant point-wise argument - it helps to know
the answer ahead of time.

Let x be in X.
If x is not in A then x is in X - A thus x is in B so x is in B - A.
If x is in A then x is not in (A - X) \/ (X - A) = B so x is in A - B.
In either case x is in (A - B) \/ (B - A).

On the other hand, let x be in (A - B) \/ (B - A) and note that x is in
A \/ X.
Suppose x is in A. Then x is not in B so x is in X or else x is in A -
X which is a subset of B.
If x is not in A then x is in B - A. Since x is in B and x is not in
A - X it follows that x is in X - A and consequently in X.

--
Paul Sperry
Columbia, SC (USA)