Topic: solution of the diff eqn, (y')^2 = (y^4) + A, where A < 0 ?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 25, 2011 2:56 PM

Re: solution of the diff eqn, (y')^2 = (y^4) + A, where A < 0 ?

On Jun 25, 4:09 pm, hanrahan...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I'd be grateful for some help with this differential equation:
> (y')^2 = (y^4) + A, where A is a negative constant
> Clearly if A could be 0, then (1/x) is a solution. But we are given
> that A < 0.
> Apparently y must have two zeros.
> Thanks!
> Michael

Let A = -a^4, the ODE can be rewritten into the form:

dt = dy / sqrt(y^4 - a^4)

In general, if an ODE has the form dt = dy / sqrt(P(y)) where
P is an quartic polynomial, then y(t) can be expressed in terms
of Jacobi elliptic functions. For you case, the general solution

a/cn( sqrt(2)(a t + const), 1/sqrt(2) )

For more details, look at Wiki's entry on Jacobi elliptic functions

For your own benefit, you should verify for your y(t), if you define
x(t) such that y(t) = a / x(sqrt(2)at), then x(t) satisfies the ODE
for cn(t,1/sqrt(2)):

x'^2 = (1 - x^2)( 1 - (1/2) + (1/2) x^2) = (1-x^4)/2

Hope this helps.