Topic: FinancialData still broken
Replies: 26   Last Post: Jul 31, 2011 10:43 PM

magma

Re: FinancialData errors

DrMajorBob wrote:
> As you see, FinancialData says the price was 10.23.

> But I BOUGHT the stock through Janus Funds on that day, and the price was
> 10.36.

> Moreover, if I go to Yahoo's interactive price chart for the stock at the
> following page, 10.36 is the price I find:

Pierpaolo Bernardi replied:

> Prices do vary continuously, they don't stay the same for a whole day,
> At the moment you bought it was 10.36. At the moment the data source
> was sampled it was 10.23. Usually historical data use the closing
> price, AFAIK. I see nothing strange in this.

Bernardi's argument is valid in general, but not in this particular
case.
It seems that this Janus fund is not traded the whole day long, but
that only a closing price is issued every day, and all transactions
are executed at that price.

The solution to this mysterious price divergence is simple.
Check the historical price series in yahoo:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=JANFX&a=01&b=05&c11&d=06&e=2=
9&f11&g=d&z=66&y=66

(I hope the link comes out right, anyway check the historical price
link on the fund's page in Yahoo finance )

For the date 10 Feb 2011 you will see that the price is indeed 10.36$,
but in the rightmost column the ADJUSTED price is 10.23$, the same
reported in FinancialData.
It seems the the price of this Janus fund is adjusted daily for
dividends/distributions and that FinancialData just reports the
Adjusted price.

So, at least in this case, FinancialData is correct