Topic: shuffle without enough memory
Replies: 8   Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 12:34 PM

Skirt Zhang

Re: shuffle without enough memory

Hi Roger,

I have difficulty to implement your suggestions.
My problem is I have 1000 data in columns with real value Pi. The 1-1000 are column indices. I want to calculate the mean&median values for the triple products across all the columns, and also the bi-products of them, i.e. PiPjPk and PiPj, i j k are different from each other.

To make things faster and without violating the memory in Matlab, I calculate the possible 1e6 combinations of the column indices using the shuffle function. Then I calculate the products according to the shuffled index combinations.

I am wondering if there is an efficient and more accurate way to calculate the mean and median ? According to a previous suggestion from Roger, I may solve it as below cited text. but I have problems to implement it :

First, I generate 1e7 numbers but I found

floor(C(end)/2), (which is of course 83083500,)

this floor 83083500 is bigger than my 1e7 simulated numbers. So How can I proceed using your approach?

If I need to find the triple product value greater or equal to the product value at 83083500, I need to calculate the product values for 1000*999*998/6=166167000. This seems not saving much effort...
Any suggestions are highly appreciated,

Best regards,