Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 1, 2012 11:02 AM

Sally Miller

Re: [ap-stat] Final Grading

Corey,
Adam and I will assume that you have a fairly large soap box, or else you might fall off it -- it seems rather slippier to me.

I am in total agreement with Adam. Our school board makes the grading scale, our electronic gradebooks are set up with this scale -- WE HAVE NO CHOICE. I would assume this is the case for most teachers today.
As soon as I put in an 80 for the grade, my electronic gradebook will say that the student has a B- average.
The students and parents have access to the gradebook for that individual student. If that 80% is quality work, I want it reflected in the gradebook. Ergo, scaling. I cannot put letter grades in our gradebook.

I'm much better at teaching and giving quality tests after all these years, but occasionally I do manage to put a problem on a test that is poorly written or that I did not evidently teach well. Students should not be penalized for these mistakes.

Corey said: We've turned one set of numbers into another set of numbers. Why is that second set any better for purposes of assigning grades? I would much rather look at the quality of work on the test and make grade decisions based on that. If a test is more difficult I'll use a different set of cut scores than I would on an easier test.

This statement says to me that you are "scaling" in your own way.

Corey said: What Mark said should be meaningless. We've turned one set of numbers into another set of numbers. Why is that second set any better for purposes of assigning grades?

Isn't this what we do at the AP reading? A student ends up with only 1 of 5 possible scores. Some of the 5's are stronger than others, but we won't know. One of your students might have had 100%, translated to a 5, while another student had a 72, translated to a 5.

Sally