Topic: Is there a polynomial time algorithm for enumerating prime numbers?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 9:53 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Is there a polynomial time algorithm for enumerating prime
numbers?

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:49:50 +0100, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 5, 5:37 am, "Peter Percival" <peterxperci...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Let p_n be the n-th prime number (p_1 = 2, etc). Is there a polynomial
>> P(n), and an algorithm to find p_n in a number of steps* S(n), where
>> S(n)
>> is bounded by P(n)?
>>

> The answer is yes.

Suppose that, having read Timothy Murphy's post, I write P(log n) instead
of P(n), is the answer still yes?