Topic: Coincidence?
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 10:38 AM

David W. Cantrell

Re: Coincidence?

Clive Tooth <clivet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On page 83 of Cadwell's "Topics in Recreational Mathematics" we read:
>
> "The smallest value taken by (7) is 7, provided the second condition
> holds."
>
> [(7) is an expression on the previous page.]
>
> Did Cadwell arrange the material in that chapter to make that work
> out? Who knows...

Here's another example, although it has nothing to do with mathematics:

For my first trip to England, in May, I got the DK Eyewitness Guide to
London for my iPad.

Their guide breaks London down into various regions, one of which is
Whitehall and Westminster. Selecting "Places of Interest" for that region,
we find 20 numbered places. Here's a portion of the list:

9 Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms
10 Downing Street
11 Banqueting House

Is it mere coincidence that Downing Street is the tenth place listed?

Cheers,
David