Topic: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 29, 2012 4:53 AM

Vince Virgilio

Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:15:14 AM UTC-4, djmpark wrote:
> What is the justification for the following?
> 0. x + 1. y
> 0. + 1. y

This appears to be an active area of Mathematica development. I think WRI improves their definition of "zero" with each release. Perhaps the next spin will give at least a more consistent result (0. + 1. y = 1. y), though not your desired one. If I recall correctly, earlier releases gave 0. * x -> 0. * x .

Vince Virgilio