Topic: compare two methods for measuring concentration
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jul 17, 2012 5:05 PM

Bruce Weaver

Re: compare two methods for measuring concentration

On 16/07/2012 10:10 AM, davidarteta2011@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have an experiment where I have a gold-standard method to calculate the concentration of a sample and two methods I want to test how well they measure the concentration and if one of them is better than the other. I have set up a concentration gradient from 0 to 5 units in breaks of 0.5 and measure each sample with each new method.
> I have done an ANOVA test on the measurements obtained for each method and have found that measurements are statisticaly different between the two methods.
> Then I have run a linear regression on each method to see how each method fits the gradient, and I see that one of the two methods has a higher R-squared value.
> My question is, can I say based on R or R-square values that one of the methods is significantly better than the other at measuring concentration based on both the R-square value and the significance of the ANOVA test?
> Thanks,
> Dave

The method due to Altman & Bland could be used for comparing each of the
methods to the gold standard.

Bruce Weaver
"When all else fails, RTFM."