Topic: Solving two nonlinear equations with two unknowns in MATLAB
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 1:21 PM

Sargondjani

Re: Solving two nonlinear equations with two unknowns in MATLAB

Bilal <bilalcisco@googlemail.com> wrote in message <247fe7fc-092a-40d6-95cb-e33cf42a8d59@googlegroups.com>...
> On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:31:28 AM UTC+9, Sargondjani wrote:
> > > by the way, to me it seems there is a one-to-one mapping between p and tau,which would make it a one variable problem... which shouldnt be to difficult for any solver to analyze.
> >
> > sorry i didnt mean 1-to1 mapping, but i meant that you can get an explicit expression of p in terms of tau

> Thanks Sargondjani and Torsten,
> Finally, I understand it. Actually, the last statement result=tau - 2*(1-2*p) ./ ( (1-2*p)*(W+1)+(p*W).*(1-(2*p).^m)); was a bit confusing for me. I thought function returns 'result' but it is ,in fact, returning 'tau' which is my required answer.
> --

well not exactly. the function returns the value for 'return'. and solve tries to set this value to 0. when return = 0 your system is solved... so it is solve that returns 'tau' as the solution to 'return = 0'