Topic: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Replies: 114   Last Post: Aug 7, 2012 3:15 AM

HH

Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"

On 8/2/12 7:36 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
> K Wills wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 16:38:43 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> There must be a distinction between the "Artistic Expression" and
>>> the canvas its painted on... This reminds me of Nixon's tapes. The
>>> information on them was his private "papers" and should have been
>>> protected by the forth amendment, but SCOTUS said that since he
>>> purchased the tape and recording equipment with government money,
>>> everything belonged to them, and so they tromped on his forth
>>> amendment rights to be secure in his personal papers and effects.

>> That's a poor analogy.
>> Had Nixon bought the equipment with his money and used it in the
>> residential part of the White House, your argument could be valid. He
>> used government funds and recorded in a government office (the Oval
>> Office).
>> Further, the tapes were subpoenaed. It's not like law
>> enforcement just walked into the Oval Office and took everything.
>>

>>> Since the artist painted on your house, you can now trash his
>>> work with impumity according to SCOTUS.....

>> I'd just paint over the mural without a second thought. But
>> that's me.

> SCOTUS should have given Nixon the opportunity to give the government
> the money it cost to buy and instal the taping equipment and the blank
> tapes.

Every time I think you can't get any more ignorant, you prove me wrong.

> Beyoe that, they had no right to see what was on the taqpes.

The gov has the right to evidence of a crime.

> Anyone with any hint of logic in his soul would know that.

That wouldn't be you.

> Do you really
> think the framers of our constitution were talking about the recording
> media when they wrote the forth amendment?

It's "fourth." And no, the framers didn't have "recording media" in
mind when they banned unreasonable search and seizure, bu they're
covered anyway. The framers certainly recognized that a criminal
justice system requires reasonable search and seizure to prosecute
criminals like Nixon.

> No. SCOTUS clearly violated Nixon's forth amendment rights.

Despite his protestations, Nixon was a crook, and the government was
entitled to seize the evidence of his crimes using the due process
afforded by the judiciary.

> It was a disgrace,

Nixon's crimes? You bet. Your abyssal ignorance? Ditto.

> and it took away my forth amendment rights, (and yours) too.

Horseshit. The government still needs a judicial order based on cause
to seize any of my personal effects, just as they needed one to seize
Nixon's tapes.

Note that not even Nixon argued 4th Amendment issues in challenging the
subpoena. He relied on executive privilege.

Date Subject Author
7/24/12
Read Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Jos Bergervoet
dev-null@example.com
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
David Bernier
7/25/12
Read Google cannot use the names sci.math, sci.physics etcRe: Can a law
firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
7/25/12
Read Re: Google cannot use the names sci.math, sci.physics etcRe: Can a law
firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Seth Breidbart
7/25/12
Read Re: Google cannot use the names sci.math, sci.physics etcRe: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/25/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
7/25/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Jos Bergervoet
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
David Bernier
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Gordon Burditt
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
8/1/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/1/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Gordon Burditt
8/1/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/1/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
8/1/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
8/2/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
8/2/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/2/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
8/3/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
David Bernier
8/3/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/4/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
8/6/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/7/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/3/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
8/3/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/4/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
8/4/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/28/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
7/29/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/30/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Kent Wills
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bill Graham
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Seth Breidbart
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
glen herrmannsfeldt
7/31/12
[...]
Pubkeybreaker
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Seth Breidbart
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
7/28/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Seth Breidbart
7/29/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
HH
7/27/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
cdarrow@jprude.net
7/29/12
john_morriss@hotmail.com
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Porky Pig Jr
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
cdarrow@jprude.net
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
KBH
7/24/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
J. Antonio Perez M.
7/25/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Archimedes Plutonium: wanker
7/25/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
hagman
7/26/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
richard miller
7/31/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Bacle H
8/4/12
Read Re: Can a law firm sue Google over "New Google Newsgroups"
Dick Adams