Topic: Move point x towards point y
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 17, 2012 6:54 PM

Bruce Elliott

Re: Move point x towards point y

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <k5mmg1$19k$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 10/17/2012 9:40 AM, Pascal wrote:
>

> > I want to know how to calculate the coordinates of the new point 2 (the
> > one that moves 1.0 unit to point 1).

> What's the definition of 1.0 unit(s)???
>
> --

Presumably it's the same as the units for point 1 and point 2.

This is an elementary algebra problem.

Pascal (I hope that's your real name and you're not taking the name of a great mathematician) - here are the steps:

1. Calculate the slope of the line between P1 and P1: m = (P2(2) - P1(2))/(P2(1) - P1(1)).
2. Find the point on the line one unit from P2: P2 + [dx,dx], where
dx^2 + dy^2 = 1, and
dy/dx = m

Good luck.