Topic: Mathgen paper accepted!
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 21, 2012 1:08 PM

Paul

Re: Mathgen paper accepted!

Il giorno sabato 20 ottobre 2012 16:54:30 UTC+1, David C. Ullrich ha scritto:
> Probably everyone else has already heard about this, but for anyone
>
> who hasn't:
>

> http://thatsmathematics.com/blog/archives/102
>

> Trivia question: The author of the paper works at the University of
>
> Southern North Dakota at Hoople. One star for the first person
>
> who can say what that university is famous for. No googling allowed.

David,

I was a grad student at a maths department over twenty years ago, but I left without graduating and therefore didn't get to know much about the protocols for the submissions of articles to journals.

From this context of ignorance, I fail to see the point that is being made. If the reply to the random paper had said "This is an excellent paper. It will be published in the Nov 2012 edition," then I would indeed get the point that the journal had been duped etc.

However, the reply doesn't seem to say this at all. It seems to say "We can't publish this paper as given because it has glaring defects." Of course, the reply should have been more explicit about what the defects were and shouldn't have "accepted" the paper. The issue of acceptance is confusing to me. Since the reply is naming lots of defects that need correction, what does it mean to "accept" the paper? This seems like a type of worthless acceptance. I would think that the mathematical community "accepts" that if I produce a correct proof of Goldbach's conjecture before anyone else does, then my work will be recognized. But that acceptance isn't worth very much.

In your experience as a research mathematician, do you find that there are quality control problems with the research environment? For example, does it happen that a significant quantity of research resources are headed in the wrong direction because results were published and accepted without proper checking? I don't know (the question was not a rhetorical one). The answer I would expect is that "lack of quality control" is not a major problem. Of course, it occasionally happens that low-quality papers are published.

Paul Epstein