Topic: Help with map /@
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 14, 2012 1:35 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Help with map /@

On Nov 7, 2012, at 12:56 AM, KFUPM <hussain.alqahtani@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a this expression:
>
> Ex= T1[x]+T2[y]+T3[z];
>
> I want to integrate the first term with respect to x, the second w.r.t y and the third with respect to z and then sum them all. I want to use the map function (/@) or similar to do that for me automatically. Your help is really appreciated.

We may need more information:

(1) do you literally want T1[x], T2[y], T3[z]? or are these actual defined functions. If the latter, then there's the difficulty of the way Mathematica reorders expressions automatically -- e.g.:

T1[x_]:=x^2
T2[x_]:=Sin[x]
T3[x_]:=Exp[x]

T1[x] + T2[y] + T3[z]
Exp[z] + x^2 + Sin[y]

Thus we no longer know which function is which!

(2) Does each of T1[x], T2[y], T3[z] depend on _only_ the one indicated variable x, y, z or, to the contrary, does T2[y], say, also involve x and or z?

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305