Topic: Quirks of EventHandler
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 10, 2012 2:10 AM

John Fultz

Re: Quirks of EventHandler

In most user interfaces (okay, most is wishy-washy=85in every single
interface I have ever tried), a super-long-depressed click is still a
click. E.g., if you press and hold a button, then have a long cup of
coffee in your other hand, then let go of the button=85you clicked the
button. And, important point here, that button wasn't clicked until you
*let go* of the mouse. There's just no way at all that one can know
when the mouse goes down what the user will do; Mathematica is not [yet]
capable of predicting the future.

You seem to suggest that "regularizing" this would involve determining
which of MouseDown/MouseUp and MouseClicked should be passed, but I just
don't see how one can do that. You want the MouseDown event
immediately, not after some pregnant pause to try to suss out the user's
intent. And if we're giving you the MouseDown event, why would you
sometimes not want to see the MouseUp event?

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.