Topic: Bad at math; need to relearn
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 11:52 PM

Michael Press

Re: Bad at math; need to relearn

In article <cacb9aa3-4b7e-46f3-87bb-efd4b9c96f00@googlegroups.com>,
justin.awm@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:56:37 PM UTC-5, justi...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I've been bad at math ever since I can remember. I've failed algebra over and over again, because I don't have a solid foundation. I'm not stupid; I have strong logical and analytical skills and I excel greatly in other subjects. My English skills are what saved me during the standardized tests as I barely passed the math section. Actually, I've been barely scraping by in math throughout all of high school and college; I'm amazed that I never flunked out because of it.
> >

> > Now though, I'm at a turning point in my life. I'm in college and I want to complete a Bachelor's in Computer Science, but for that I must complete Calculus III, which I am scared to death of. Last year I switched my major over to business so I wouldn't have to take hard math. I do not want to major in business. I love computer science - it's my passion. I want, so badly, to build extraordinary and innovative technological masterpieces and contribute to the world of Computer Science. I am getting very emotional as I write this - I don't want this to be the thing that holds me back. All my life I've been told "math is hard... math is boring... You're bad at math? So is everyone else..." parroted over and over by everyone, and so instead of paying attention in class and doing the work I fall asleep because I'm already convinced I will fail. I'm sick of it.
> >

> > I know now that I cannot follow my passion without math. I want to be good at math - I don't care how much work it takes, but I don't know where to begin. I want to completely relearn it from the basics. I plan to do all of Khan Academy's math sections. I've been told this is a good start, but I need more help. I am asking desperately for any advice from math experts that will help me become proficient at it. I'm tired of failing the same thing over and over again.
> >

> > Thank you.

> Thank you, those who actually posted something helpful. I will begin looking at your suggested resources immediately.

How do you know what is helpful?
Never mind. You aren't here.
Still hope you solved the line wrap and extra newline problems.

Two months late, yet I cannot help putting in an oar.
It's that time of the month---lasts at least 30 days.

Bart, thanks for the link to Math Doesn't Suck page.

--
Michael Press