Topic: Re: Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus Western learning
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus Western learning

Alain Schremmer posted Nov 22, 2012 1:19 AM:

> On Nov 21, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
> wrote:
>

> > It presently appears that anyone who is bright
> enough to effectively
> > communicate in the English language [?? IQ rating =
> 80+??] also is
> > bright enough to effectively function as a
> professional
> > mathematician ... if duly educated through a
> curriculum that
> > adequately accommodates such persons' potentials.
> [It now is certain
> > that the "average" person uses less than 5% of
> inborn personal
> > capacity for functional intelligence. Effective
> education in any
> > particular arena of intelligence can greatly
> increase that
> > percentage in that arena ... thereby enabling even
> the not-so-bright
> > learner to "excel" in that arena.]
>
> In short, if very few people can, say, run the 100m
> dash under 10
> seconds, most everybody can walk. And, most everybody
> would seem to be
> able to walk "all the way up to" Differential
> Calculus aka the
> mathematics of change.
>
> Regards
> - --schremmer

I don't believe Clyde Greeno was suggesting that the intellectual equivalent of someone able to do only a 20-second 100-m.run would be able to compete with the intellectual equivalent of, say, Usain Bolt as a sprinter.

His real claim, with which I *broadly* agree, was that we are all using "less than 5% of inborn personal capacity for functional intelligence". (*I'm not sure that the specific 5% figure is valid - but I do believe we are all using only a fraction of our own personal intellectual capacities; possibly even Einstein was not using all his own stupendous intellectual capacity*).

The next part of Mr Greeno's claim stated that "Effective education in any particular arena of intelligence can greatly increase that percentage in that arena ... thereby enabling even the not-so-bright learner to "excel" in that arena": in this he did not intend to claim (I believe) that GSC, for instance, would ever become an Einstein - but rather that GSC could VERY significantly enhance his performance in, say, math (if that is the discipline of interest).

I have some minor evidence of such enhancement of performance: I have elsewhere related the story of how a freshman college student (who right through his school career had never gotten above 45% in his math exams) very significantly improved his math skills by simply developing a 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) for the Mission: "To understand thoroughly all topics of my math syllabus and THEREBY to improve, very significantly, my results in my math exams, tests, quizzes". I gave him NO math tuition at all - I merely helped him at the start to interpret the models he constructed and guided him as to "what to do next" at each stage of development of his OPMS. In 'math', I only showed him a few interesting 'math-derived' things - things like Mobius curves and strips; the 'Yoshimoto cube'; and so on - to help convince him that math was not a bore but something of endless fascination.

The above-noted instance is described in the attachment herewith. I realize that you, Mr Schremmer, are strongly disinclined to look at 'Windows documents' - I had transformed the PowerPoint document to an open source [Libre Office] document, but I believe that transformation did not adequately preserve various parts of the original document. Thus, at the moment this seems to be the best I can do. However, the fundamental argument is very simple indeed [and requires no elaborate presentations]: given the individual's willingness to make some needed effort, it is possible in most cases to improve capabilities quite significantly; what the individual needs is only some practical tools that enable him/her to 'keep track effectively' of efforts made, record improvements, learn how to proceed from day to day, minute to minute; the conventional means known to education and the management sciences are rather inadequate.

(By the way, if you would install something called 'Virtual Box' from Oracle, you would be able to create a 'virtual realization' of Windows within your Linux/Unix system - which would enable you to read Windows documents [entirely legally] without having to get stuck in Windows. As to how this Virtual Box is to be installed in your machine, you would have to talk to some Unix/Linux/Ubuntu expert about it.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy