Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 10:10 PM

Ed Wall

Re: [math-learn] The Value of Student Evaluations of Teaching
att1.html (15.2 K)

As I am in an environment where I use something like a 'SET' at times and something like Concept Inventories at times (for fun I will call them CIs), I find myself wondering just what is a 'good' evaluation of 'teaching.' For instance, given Gary Fenstermacher's thoughtful analysis of teaching and studenting, it seems unlikely that a CI measures other than learning. Nonetheless, one might argue that a CI gives a perspective from the side of learning on teaching and one might argue that a SET gives a perspective on teaching from the side of studenting (which includes learning, by the way). The interesting question (and the vice versa) is, of course, what can/do SETs capture than CIs miss as, judging from my experience (and, yes, I'm opinionated - smile), the affective has a substantial impact on the cognitive (see, for instance, Fiumara).

Oddly, I'm reasonably okay with a statement such as "I know good teaching when I see it" versus a statement such as "I know good teaching when I see a CI score).

Ed Wall