Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Wally W.

Re: Simple random number generator?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:43:41 +0000, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

>In sci.math message <rubrum-0653B8.15431416122012@news.albasani.net>,
>Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:43:20, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:

>>> The msin assumption in this is that the probability that an
>>> atom which has not decayed by time T will still have a probability
>>> of decay between T and U which is independent of anything which has
>>> happened before time T, and only depends on U-T.

>>I am asking for the basis of the unpredictability
>>in physical theory. Assuming it is random is to
>>beg the question.
>>
>>I hold that the wave theory of matter does not
>>predict random occurrences.

>Little can be done about ignorance of such profundity. You reject the
>mainstream physics of the last 85 years or thereabouts.

It seems like a reasonable question to me.

The completeness with which we understand small-scale physics doesn't
affect whether something deterministic is happening under the hood.

If radioactive decay is random, why should an isotope have a knowable
half-life? Why wouldn't the half-life also be random, or more variable
than it seems to be?