Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Phil Carmody

Re: Simple random number generator?

Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> writes:
> In article <87licvisn2.fsf@bazspaz.fatphil.org>,
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> writes:
> > > In article
> > > <0.ef56b5652decd19bb478.20121128013501GMT.87k3t6v7ay.fsf@bsb.me.uk>,

> > > I do not see how quantum effects can be used to generate
> > > random sequences. Coherent systems are stable and highly,
> > > if not perfectly, predictable.
> > >
> > > Hardware generated random sequences usually read Schottky
> > > noise off some device (a sound card in a computer) and use
> > > that. This can be modeled using entirely classical physics.

> > Are you sure? Shottky noise is white noise, and thus is
> > indistinguishable from thermal (Johnson-Nyquist) noise.
> > So you can statistically model it the same way, but that
> > doesn't mean it's actually caused by classical mechanics.
> > I can't find any references to Shottky noise that don't
> > mention some quantum effect.

> _What_ quantum effect?

Things like photons at discrete energy levels. Or electrons
jumping between discrete energy levels.

Phil
--
I'm not saying that google groups censors my posts, but there's a strong link
between me saying "google groups sucks" in articles, and them disappearing.

Oh - I guess I might be saying that google groups censors my posts.