Topic: Unfortunate Side Effect of Upgrading to Mathematica v9
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:39 AM

R Martinez

Re: Unfortunate Side Effect of Upgrading to Mathematica

Math v9 works fine on my MacBook Pro with Lion. There is no AppleScript confusion such as Stein describes. Everything is normal.

HTH,

Ra=C3=BAl

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2012, at 1:35 AM, George Woodrow III <georgevw3@mac.com> wrote:

> I just checked, and the .nb files open correctly in Mathematica. You may h=
ave an anomaly peculiar to your system.

> I did not check, but I am sure that the .m files will still want to open i=

n Xcode if you double click the file icon.

> george
>
> On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:57 AM, James Stein <mathgroup@stein.org> wrote:
>

>> I upgraded from v8 to v9 this morning, and all
>> pre-existing Mathematica Notebook files (extension .nb) have been modifie=

>> to open with the AppleScript editor.
>>
>> This is easily remedied by applying the "Get Info" command on one of the
>> notebooks; changing the "Open With:" item from "AppleScript Editor" to
>> "Mathematica", and clicking the "Change All" button to effect the change
>> for all notebook files --- but this has the nasty side effect of changing=

>> the modification date of all your notebook files to the current date&time=
!

>> This is unfortunate because notebooks in a given folder can no longer be
>> compared by age.
>>
>> I hope I made some error and this does not happen to others.....
>>
>> If others wish to do this, you might wish to do this on a folder-by-folde=

>> basis: Select all the notebooks in a folder, press the option key along
>> with the command key and you will get a single Get Info window for all yo=

ur
>> selected notebooks; this allows you to make the change for several
>> notebooks at a time, but not all notebooks on your computer.
>>
>> For those who have little or no use for the AppleScript editor, perhaps a=

>> different solution is to replace the AppleScript Editor application with a=
>> alias to the Mathematica application. I haven't tried this yet....
>>
>> There may be utilities that allow you to change the "Open With" informati=

on