Topic: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 5:50 PM

jaakov

Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?

On 03.12.2012 17:33, Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> jaakov<removeit_jaakov@deleteit_ro.ru> writes:
>

>> Thank you. To finish this proof, we have to prove that your class, let
>> us call it Z, contains an initial segment of cardinality k. However,
>> informally speaking, X may hypothetically contain too many ordinals,
>> still being a set, such that too few ordinals remain in Z. Could you
>> please expand on why Z contains an initial segment of cardinality k?

> Assuming choice, the cardinality k of X is an (initial) ordinal, so
> take the set X' = {alpha | alpha< k} and let Y be the set {x + lambda |
> x in X'}, where lambda is an ordinal> any ordinal in X.

1. k is not related to the cardinality of X.

2. Your lambda need not exist. To show that lambda exists, one has to
show that a set may not contain arbitrarily large ordinals. Is it a
known fact or simply false?

Jaakov.

Date Subject Author
12/3/12
Read Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Aatu Koskensilta
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Carsten Schultz
[...]
Butch Malahide
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Butch Malahide
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
William Elliot
12/4/12
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Spammer
12/4/12