Topic: Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative
1"?

Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 11:48 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative 1"?

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> Joe N says:
> "In fact it emphasizes the fact the rule is based on the signs alone."
>
> Paul Tanner III says:
> This is not correct.
>
> Who's talking about ring axioms other than you Paul?
> I could explain exactly what I mean above but I don't think you could follow because the things your own mind inserts into the proceedings keep getting in the way. That's not something I can correct. Read the Martinez book, maybe, show that you can follow it, then maybe we can discuss.

Fact: The integers are a ring. And so all that is true or false about
rings is true or false about the integers.

As I in

"Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative 1"?"

pointed out, what you said is false about rings, and so it is false
about the integers.