Topic: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files
Replies: 8   Last Post: Dec 18, 2012 2:35 AM

David Bailey

Re: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files

On 14/12/2012 07:58, noomen mechri wrote:
> Thanks for your reply!
> yes, that's what I had to do ... rerun the whole calculation on M9 which
> again took a few hours!! (I know ... not good at optimizing code)
> But then what is the purpose of having .mx files to save the workspace
> variables for future use ... if they can only be read by the version in
> which they have been produced ... it is senseless ...
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Bob Hanlon<hanlonr357@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I've never used an .mx file; however, from the documentation:
>>
>> "MX files cannot be exchanged between different operating systems or
>> versions of Mathematica."
>>
>> "Mathematica MX files can be created with DumpSave and read with Get."
>>
>> Did you save the source files from which you did a DumpSave? If so,
>> move the source files to v9 and DumpSave new .mx files in v9.
>>

>> Bob Hanlon
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM, NBM<noomenov@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Having written a lot of code on M8, I recently switched to M9 and tried
>>> run the code which starts by loading an .mx file written by M8, but M9
>> wouldn't read it saying that it was written on another machine. This is a
>> major incompatibility issue between M8 and M9. Fortunately I kept my M8
>> installation, so for now, M9 is useless to me.

>>> Please a solution.

I hit the restriction with .mx files some time ago.

I really needed high speed, and I timed various alternatives. The best I
found, was to write the data:

str=OpenWrite[file,BinaryFormat->True];
BinaryWrite[str,magic,"TerminatedString"];
BinaryWrite[str,Compress[{expr,version}],"TerminatedString"];
Close[str];

(where magic is a short string to use as a sanity check when reading
back - omit if you prefer. expr is the large expression)

This can be read back with:

str=OpenRead[file,BinaryFormat->True];
If[BinaryRead[str,"TerminatedString"]==magic,
expr=Uncompress[BinaryRead[str,"TerminatedString"]];
];
Close[str];

The important point here, is that Compress and Uncompress are both fast
and portable.

This isn't quite as fast as .mx files, but close!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk