Topic: Ewwww!
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 8:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Ewwww!

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Dec 12, 2012 1:46 PM:
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57558552/new-unive
> rsity-of-california-logo-spurs-mockery/
>
> What an ugly logo.
>
> I would stick with the old one. And why would a
> university like UC have a need to market itself?
> Unless I missed something in the last 20 years, I
> thought its reputation performed that task pretty
> well.
>
> Bob Hansen

Well, the University of California PR department issued the following rationale for their new logo (taken from the story at the link provided by RH):
+++
"The new mark was created as a part of our broader efforts to build awareness and support for all the things that UC does to make California (and by extension the world) better," Simon said in a statement published on the Change.org petition. "What we have tried to do is to create a mark that is iconic, flexible, and solid enough that it works to represent the UC system as a whole."
+++
Apparently that PR story didn't convince a great many folk: a campaign to "Stop the UC Logo" had found over 45,000 supporters. It appears there is also a popular Facebook campaign to the same purpose.

GSC

Date Subject Author
12/12/12
Read Ewwww!