Topic: Recurrence Equation RSolve, no error shown, no solution?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 17, 2012 2:54 AM

Dana DeLouis

Re: Recurrence Equation RSolve, no error shown, no solution?

> RSolve[{w[n + 1] == w[n] - 0.02/w[n], w[0] == 2}, w[n], n]
> Could someone tell me if there is possible to solve this and what's my error?

Hi. Just to add 2 cents on "what's my error"
Here, the next value of x is based on current value of x:

x - 1/(50 x)

We see that the values get smaller as we loop.
We also note that if the next value of x were zero, then we get a divide by zero error.

So, our values can only decrease until:

Solve[x-1/(50 x)==0]
{{x->-(1/(5 Sqrt[2]))},{x->1/(5 Sqrt[2])}}

%//N
{{x->-0.141421}, {x -> 0.141421}}

So, we can only decrease until our value reaches 1/(5 Sqrt[2]),
then we calculate zero for the next value, and encounter infinity, or div by 0.

Hense, I don't believe this is a True Recurrence Equation as one may have hoped.

Looks like the loop is only valid for about 102 loops. (At machine precision)

NestWhileList[#-1/(50 #)&, 2., # > 1/(5 Sqrt[2]) &] ;

% // Length
102

HTH :>)
Dana DeLouis