Topic: apocalypse No! : "solar system is chaotic" : Jacques Laskar, French
dynamicist and astronomer

Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 23, 2012 11:02 PM

nuny@bid.ness

Re: apocalypse No! : "solar system is chaotic" : Jacques Laskar,

On Dec 23, 1:11 pm, David Bernier <david...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I was looking for more about this, which I had read about
> in French.
>
> non-Press discussion:
>
> "In about 1% of the cases, the calculations lead to collisions between
> planets or between a planet and the Sun in less than 5 billion years."
>
> They have three future orbits about 3.5 billion years in the
> future.
>
> "7 million hours of CPU time required" ...
>
> Usually, Mercury's orbit's eccentricity becomes large enough
> for crossing with Venus orbit (projected to a reference plane).
>
> Sometimes, Mars & earth projected or Venus & earth projected
> orbits intersect also ...
>
> Non-press discussion, detailed summary:
>
> http://www.obspm.fr/actual/nouvelle/jun09/colli.en.shtml
>
> David Bernier

Laskar et. al. built on Lyapunov's work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyapunov_time

Mark L. Fergerso