Topic: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Replies: 27   Last Post: Dec 30, 2012 12:20 AM

Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof

In article
<68bb591d-e426-4a8a-a2f8-da6880aecf09@6g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>,
Graham Cooper <grahamcooper7@gmail.com> writes:

> +----->
> | 0. 542..
> | 0. 983..
> | 0. 143..
> | 0. 543..
>

> OK - THINK - don't back explain to me.
>
> You run down the Diagonal 5 8 3 ...
>
> IN YOUR MIND - you change each digit ONE AT A TIME
>
> 0.694...
>
> but this process NEVER STOPS
>
> and you NEVER CONSTRUCT A NEW DIGIT SEQUENCE!
>
> There are INFINITE PATHS occupying each row and collumn
> that make 5 8 3 and 6 9 4
>
> There is NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THOSE DIGITS OR THAT SEQUENCE!

You are missing the point. The whole idea of the diagonal argument is
that one starts with an infinite list which is presumably exhaustive,
i.e. contains all numbers. The diagonal argument shows that from any
such list it is possible to construct a number not on the list, thus
proving that the list can't be exhaustive.

Using decimals is not very good because it is not clear how you could
order the list to be exhaustive. Use fractions. First, all in which
numerator and denominator add up to 2, then all in which the sum is 3,
and so on. Sure, some numbers will be in the list more than once
(infinitely many times, in fact) but the point is that this constructs
an ordered list of rational numbers. After ordering this way, one can
write the decimal expansion then use the diagonal argument.

> Herc
> --

Note that the RFC specified a space after "--" for the .sig separator.

Date Subject Author
12/24/12
Read Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Graham Cooper
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
J. Antonio Perez M.
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
george
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/24/12
Read Re: "Simple" Refutation of Cantor's Proof Fails
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/25/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
patmpowers@gmail.com
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
george
12/29/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Graham Cooper
12/29/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Virgil
12/29/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
camgirls@hush.com
12/29/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Virgil
12/29/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Graham Cooper
12/30/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Virgil
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
george
12/24/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
William Hughes
[...]
12/26/12
Read Re: Simple Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Graham Cooper
12/26/12
Read Re: Simple NON-Refutation of Cantor's Proof
Virgil