Topic: Help with cellfun
Replies: 7   Last Post: Dec 27, 2012 12:54 PM

Kevin Ellis

Re: Help with cellfun

"james bejon" wrote in message <kbg6f0$dl$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Thanks very much. I wasn't aware of the 'stable' option.

Thanks so much James and dpb for all the help. As a sidenote, dpb, you mentioned that you don't like to use cell arrays and I am curious what the other options are. Currently, I have a dataset from excel (411,000) rows of data with 37 columns. Each has either a string or numerical value depending on the column. I originally had developed a structure array and imported the data using 'xlsread'. This process took far too long in terms of runtime so I ended up importing the data using 'xlsread1' and reading the data directly into a cell array because it was much faster. The problem is that I work directly with datasets from Excel and have not found a way I am satisfied with of importing the data to work with into MatLab. In addition to that, I found structure arrays difficult to work with on data manipulations such as sorting based on different columns, removing entries, etc.

So my question is if there is a better way to deal with large datasets from Excel and import them into a form that can be easily manipulated in MatLab and output once again to Excel?