The Math Forum

Topic: Student edition of MATLAB 5 planned?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 27, 1997 6:56 PM

Tariq S Bakir

Re: Student edition of MATLAB 5 planned?

Marcus Hermann wrote:

> Should I wait for the new version of the student edition of MATLAB
> before buying?
>
> Will there be a student edition of MATLAB 5, and when will it ship? Is
> a student edition for Win32 planned? Are the limitations going to be
> the same as with Version 4? (Which would be sad, because at
> university, I mainly do image processing with MATLAB, which is
> impossible with the limitations of the student edition of v4.
>
> -Marcus Hermann
> Physics student at Heidelberg, Germany

I read the size may be doubled on the dsp newsgroup ( nothing 100%).

Even if the size may be doubled, this is not adequate for image
processing.

Maybe the mathworks should consider the idea of a "research version"
that is an in between the student and the full verions ( a good price
maybe $200).

Many are switching to Mathematica 3.0 since the student edition is not
limited and runs even on linux ($140).

I hope the mathworks takes into consideration the making of a student
edition with larger matrix size even if it costs more (but NOT the $500
for the full version).