Topic: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 7:57 PM

JT

Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort

On 8 Jan, 16:23, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 7, 2013 10:10:09 PM UTC-8, Kiru Sengal wrote:
> > It is called bucket sort where each bucket is a single integer value (instead of a range).
>
> > This is (a variation of) what humans use to sort exam papers by grade (100, 99) or last name (A,B,C,..).

No it is not bucket sort it is JTsort or rapidsort, there is no
elements attached to the index.

> Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.  I was thinking block sort like
> we used to do on the old card sorters.  No one wanted to sort 20 boxes
> of cards on 20 columns so we would sort the most significant column
> first then repeated this on the next most significant column until each
> block of cards were managable.  Then we switch to sorting from least to
> most significant, finally we'd put the batches back together in order
> and all were sorted.

No as i said again, there is no after sort of boxes, how hard can it
be 3 lines of code?

for (i=0;i<dval.length-1;i++){
temp=dval[i];
countval[temp]=countval[temp]+1;
}

countval is the range array, dval is the value array for each
occurence of dval[i] value 1 is added to the corresponding countval[i]
in the range array.
You know this is not rocket science three lines of code, now you think
how to do this with a pointer approach and dynamic memory.

> I tried reasoning with JT for a few days.  It doesn't work.  JT talks
> about recursively applying his "countsort" algorithm.  Maybe he is
> slowly coming to his senses.

No you are just beating yourself senseless, with your claim of
aftersort of buckets.

> It seems to me the problem is predicting the sweet spot where one would
> expect a large number of duplicates.  For instance in your example
> of sorting grades, it wouldn't make sense to have 100 buckets for
> 20 students but it might make sense to have four since one could
> easily take 20 sheets of 8x11 paper and drop them into one of
> four buckets.  Depending upon the curve one set different easy
> ranges so the 20 sheets split about even.  Sorting 5 sets of paper
> by hand wouldn't be too hard.  Sorting 20 tests into 100 buckets
> would involve a lot of movement and hunting then picking up the
> papers would take even more time.  This would swamp the time saved
> by not having to handle any paper more than once.

You are deranged beyond repair, there is no sweetspots no comparissons
it is rather sad you cannot read three lines of code.

> Heck, not being the academic type I haven't had to deal with
> grading papers.  It seems to me that grading papers needn't
> involve sorting them.  One would merely need to grade the
> papers first, write the scores in a ledger, then normalize the
> scorea into the letter grades, and finally make a second pass
> through the tests and put the letter grades on them.
>
> I guess the optimal sort algorithm depends upon the resources
> available.  Back in the day we did an 8 tape(drive) sort on the annual
> transaction logs.  It would take us days since we didn't have
> sufficient disk space to store all the records, making an index
> sort impractical.  As I recall the monthly transaction logs
> would span about 4 9track tapes each.  The computer only had
> 19K memory stored in 12 6bit character words.  We had 4 5M drives
> and 4 20M drives but they stored current account records for
> online access and the online programs.  Heck, I got in trouble
> for storing a program that only ran once a month on disk rather
> than punch cards.

I think it is time for you to punch out from work.

Date Subject Author
1/3/13
Read My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/9/13