Topic: Question about PlotRange
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 18, 2013 12:49 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: Question about PlotRange

On 1/16/13 at 1:42 AM, james@stein.org (James Stein) wrote:

>I am mystified by the two charts produced by this expression:

>Table [
>ListPlot [ Table [ x, { x, -.13, .13, .01 } ] , Axes -> True,
>Filling -> 0, FillingStyle -> { Red, Darker [ Green ] } , PlotRange
>-> { Automatic, yRange }
>], { yRange, { Full, { -0.1, 0.06} } } ]

>If 'PlotRange' allows 'Full' for the y-axis, all data is plotted as
>expected, but if 'PlotRange' restricts extreme values of y, *some*
>extreme values have vanished, but *not* the *most* extreme values.

>My desire is for all 27 values to appear on the second chart. (In
>more realistic situations, the visual 'Filling' is important.) How
>is this to be achieved?

I probably don't understand what you want with the second chart.
And I do admit the graphic I see in version 9 running on OS X
10.8.2 isn't quite what I would have expected. But I don't see
why you are expecting the second plot to show all 27 values.

The last 8 values are:

In[14]:= Table[x, {x, -.13, .13, .01}][[-7 ;;]]

Out[14]= {0.07,0.08,0.09,0.1,0.11,0.12,0.13}

all of which are greater than the maximum value (0.06) you
provide for PlotRange in the second plot. Clearly the cannot be
plotted with that plot range specification.

As for the most extreme positive value (0.13) the value is not
plotted. All that is shown is a filling line truncated at 0.06,
the limit specified by the plot range you provided. What I find
a bit surprising and don't understand is why only the first and
last values are shown with a truncated filling line while other
values outside the plot range show no similar truncated filling
line. I would have expected either all values outside to the
plot range to either be shown with a truncated filling line or
not shown at all.