Topic: Effects of Poverty on U.S. Children's Educational Achievement
Redux

Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 9:15 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Effects of Poverty on U.S. Children's Educational Achievement Redux

On Jan 19, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Richard Hake wrote:

> I implied that children *in poverty* are less capable of *academic
> achievement* than children not in poverty.
>
> I think that children in poverty are probably just as *inherently*
> capable as children not in poverty, but societal and home factors
> conspire against their academic achievement. For example many of
> them: (a) are subjected to poor teaching, (b) attend dilapidated
> schools with high student and teacher turnover, (c) have
> academically uninvolved parents, (d) partake of few out-of-school
> enrichment activities, (e) have limited access to books, (f) receive
> inadequate nutrition, (g) live in slums, (h) come from broken
> families, (i) are threatened by gang violence, (j) have few
> academic role models, and (k) suffer from environmental hazards such
> as lead poisoning.

I totally agree and, in fact, I could continue the list of things
caused by poverty that are not exactly conducive to "academic
achievement"---as I am sure you could too.

Which reminds me of the response I recently got from colleagues of
mine as I was deploring the very small percentage of the students
attempting Arithmetic who complete Differential Calculus (0.24%): "But
that's because these students DO NOT WANT to go into Calculus."

Best regards
--schremmer