Topic: trace map is surjective
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 24, 2013 8:47 AM

Robin Chapman

Re: trace map is surjective

On 24/01/2013 12:53, Rupert wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find a proof that, given a separable
> quadratic extension of a field of characteristic two, the trace map
> is surjective?

For instance

Of course in this context it is easy. The minimum polynomial
of any element in the extension but not in the ground
field is x^2 - a x + b and a is nonzero lest the extension
be separable. Of course, a is a trace.