Topic: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Replies: 41   Last Post: Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

So as not to court misinterpretation of my "strawman" claim:

# There definitely IS a serious need for formal statements of MINIMUM
curricular "standards" ... to which most/all states can agree ... ideally in
the form of concurrent, alternative versions, thereof ... as generated by
separate bodies ... each of which should annually update its own version, on
the basis of new insights. [The current CCSS is the one and only such
product, from any such group ... and not yet updated.] Healthy disputes can
occur ONLY when at least two such products exist. That does require paying
people to do the work ... albeit, some modes of service are less
cost-effective than others.

## There also is a dire need for similar statement of (substantially
higher-level) PAR curricular "standards". [There currently is no such
product.]

### The "strawman war" is being fought by those who quarrel with CCSS
because the latter propose some deviation from earlier generations ...
and/or because *minimum* is less than *par.* It's a little like congressmen
voting against a bill, because of the presence or lack of some ingredients,
therein ... without concurrently proposing an alternative bill. [Far easier
to detect "flaws" in others' attempts to solve their problems, than to
create one's own solutions to one's own problems.]

Cordially,
Clyde