Topic: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.

Replies: 22   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 8:21 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.

On 27/01/2013 12:07 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>
>> In some past threads we've talked about the formula cGC
>> which would stand for:
>>
>> "There are infinitely many counter examples of the Goldbach Conjecture".
>>
>> Whether or not one can really prove it, the formula has been at least
>> intuitively associated with a mathematical unknowability: it's
>> impossible to know its truth value (and that of its negation ~cGC) in
>> the natural numbers.

> No one thinks that but you.

If I were you I wouldn't say that. Rupert for instance might not
dismiss the idea out right, iirc.

> Its truth value might be discovered tomorrow.

You misunderstand the issue there: unknowability and impossibility
to know does _NOT_ at all mean "might be discovered tomorrow".

It's impossible to know of a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals
means it's impossible to know of a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals.
Period.

It doesn't mean a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals "might be
discovered tomorrow", as you seem to have believed for a long time,
in your way of understanding what unknowability or impossibility
to know would _technically mean_ .

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
1/27/13
Read Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
fom
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmeticformulas.
Michael Stemper
1/29/13
[...]
Graham Cooper