Topic: How could mere man comprehend infinity?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 5:16 PM

Re: How could mere man comprehend infinity?

On Jan 31, 12:00 pm, Frederick Williams
<freddywilli...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> socratus wrote:

> >   About Infinity. / My opinion /
> > How could mere man comprehend infinity?
> > ==.
> > Infinity is the cause of the crisis in Physics.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity

> > Why is Infinity the cause of the crisis in Physics?
> > Because we don?t know what infinity is.

> Do we not know what infinity is anymore than we don't know what other
> things are?
> Popper[1] once speculated about Kant's antinomies of space and time
> possibly being resolved by an appeal to Robinson's NSA.  I don't know if
> anything came of the idea.
> [1] Please don't embarrass me by asking for a reference.

There's a footnote in his autobiography "Unended Quest" to that
page 238 note 6
"The problem has recently reached a new stage through Abraham
work on the infinitely small; see Abraham Robinson _Non-

The "problem" referred to is "(the spatial part) of Kant's first
..."a serious and still unsolved philosophical problem" (p.12)