Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

namducnguyen

Re: Matheology ? 222 Back to the roots

On 25/02/2013 10:25 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article <SDWWs.99982$Hq1.27823@newsfe23.iad>,
> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>> I am not aware of how one would prove the existence of even one
>>> counterexample to Goldbach without finding one.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, in standard non-WM mathematics, proofs of existence do
>>> not always require that one find an example of the thing claimed to
>>> exist.

>> As I've explained to Jim Burns, that depends on the context the word
>> "proof" is in. If you talk about a _formula_ expressing the existence,
>> then your original statement would make sense: no need to find an
>> "example" for the semantic, the meaning, of the formula.
>>
>> But if the context is a structure, then your statement would not be
>> true.
>>
>> For example, let T = {Ex[Red(x)]}. How would you construct a model
>> of T without an (example) individual being Red, given that the universe
>> U of this model must be non-empty by definition of model?

> Since I said "not always", any such situation shows I am right.

I think you misunderstood my point:

In the context of language structure truth verification,
your original statement would _always_ fail: because for
Ex[P(x)] to be true, P(x0) must be true for some _example_ x0.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
2/7/13
Read Matheology § 222 Back to the roots