Topic: Pull out specific numbers from unstructured text file
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 8, 2014 6:51 AM

dpb

Re: Pull out specific numbers from unstructured text file

On 2/7/2013 5:34 PM, dpb wrote:
> On 2/7/2013 4:57 PM, Stan wrote:
>> Here is an unstructured text file () that I have:
>>
>> abc
>> abc a134
>> def r5234sdgh
>> gsgfs 6y856 words
>>
>> Nmoves=84 (chess win)
>> Nrequired=101 (chess win maximum moves requested)

>> Question:
>> How can I extract the numbers that come after 'Nmoves' and 'Nrequired'?

> fgetl() combined w/ string matching and sscanf()

Actually, it's not bad at all w/ straight ol' Matlab i/o...

fid=fopen(....,'rt');
l=' ';
while 1
l=fgetl(fid);
if strfind(l,'Nmoves')>0,break,end
end
Nmoves=sscanf(l,'Nmoves=%d');
Nrequired=fscanf(fid,'Nrequired=%d');
fid=fclose(fid);

Wrap in a function and voila! (Did it at command line to check...)