Topic: probability question about the dice game
Replies: 21   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 2:47 PM

Jussi Piitulainen

Re: probability question about the dice game

starwayinc@gmail.com writes:

> two players Ann and Bob roll the dice. each rolls twice, Ann wins if
> her higher score of the two rolls is higher than Bobs, other wise
> Bob wins. please give the analyse about what is the probability that
> Ann will win the game

Because

>>> from itertools import product
>>> die = {1,2,3,4,5,6}
>>> dice = set(product(die, die, die, die))
>>> sum(int(max(a,b) > max(c,d)) for a,b,c,d in dice)

505
>>> sum(int(max(a,b) <= max(c,d)) for a,b,c,d in dice)
791

I'd say her odds are 505 for and 791 against. I hope my gambling
vocabulary is not too far off.